Thread: Fiction: By Way of an Apology
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Bidz4321

Send a message via MSN to Bidz4321
Pencil By Way of an Apology

An attempt at a story, feedback dependent I hope to regularly update. Hope you enjoy!

By Way of an Apology

Chapter One

College had finished and Jack had a seven-week summer holiday ahead of him. No homework to complete, no coursework to write, and no exams to revise for. Over the next couple of months he planned to chill out in front of the television; consume a whole range of snacks and fast food; meet with his mates; play football; and spend endless hours gaming online. In short he was looking forward to enjoying a typical teenage guy’s holiday.

The last week of term hadn’t been great. There had been an altercation during Wednesday lunchtime between James and one of his class mates, Brett. It was a trivial argument between the two that was unfortunately blown out of proportion, what would normally have been laughed off as ‘banter’ became a rather sour incident. The initial insults turned violent and culminated in a scrap between the pair. Consequently James was looking forward to the extended stretch away from school more than ever.

It was the second day of the holiday and Jack was lounging around in front of the television, as he started to flick through the channels his phone vibrated, signalling that he’d received a text. Jack grabbed his phone from the arm of the sofa and was surprised to see that the text was from Brett. It read as follows:

‘Hi Jack. Sorry for being such a dick last week, I was really out of order. I was wondering whether you fancied coming round mine tomorrow by way of an apology. We could play some footy, order some pizza and watch some films?’

Jack was astonished; receiving a text from Brett was the last thing he had expected. He was doubly shocked at the content; it was unheard of for Brett to apologise. On the other hand Jack considered it a nice gesture, he respected Brett for being man-enough to admit that he had been in the wrong. He replied as follows:

‘Hi Brett, we were probably both to blame for what happened but thanks for apologising. It would be great to come round tomorrow, what sort of time should I get to yours?’

Jack received a rapid response:

‘Get to mine for around 4ish; bring your football boots’

Jack arrived at Brett’s just after four in the afternoon. Brett lived in a massive Victorian house, with several acres of land. His parents were both self-made entrepreneurs who spent a lot of time out of the country on business trips. He was an only child and was subsequently spoilt rotten. To begin with there was an awkward atmosphere between the two but it didn’t take long for the events of the previous week to be forgotten. After having a couple of drinks and watching a few videos on Youtube, James and Brett went out the back to play some football. They had a few games of ‘heads and volleys’ and then took it in turns to take shots at goal. Jack was having a brilliant time; he was finding it hard to believe that less than a week ago he had literally hated Brett’s guts. It was an incredibly hot day and despite being later on in the afternoon the pair quickly retreated back into the shade to rest.

‘You’re absolutely drenched in sweat’ Brett laughed. ‘Tell me about it, I can’t believe how hot it is’ Jack replied. ‘Feel free to have a shower, you look like you need one’ Brett said, taking a big gulp of his drink. ‘I’d love to, but I didn’t bring a towel or a change of clothes’, ‘No worries, you can borrow some of mine, the bathroom’s up the stairs, the second door on your right’. Jack couldn’t believe how nice Brett was being to him, he certainly wanted to have a shower, but the idea of wearing some of Brett’s clothes made him feel slightly awkward. However in the end Jack decided that the thought of spending the rest of the day drenched in sweat was much less appealing than borrowing some clothes, so he headed upstairs to the bathroom.

The bathroom was huge; there was a great pea-shaped bath and a gigantic walk-in shower. Along the windowsill lay an array of different soaps and creams and the shower consisted of three individual jet sprays. ‘It’s like some sort of hotel’ Jack thought as he stepped into the shower, throwing his clothes on the floor behind him. After setting the water at a temperature and pressure that suited him, jack turned to face the windowsill to decide on which of the many soaps he was going to use. As he continued to deliberate on which flavour to pick, Brett slowly coaxed the door to the bathroom open. He peered his head around the corner of the door and Iphone aloft, began to take pictures of Jack.

Last edited by Bidz4321; 02-04-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Bidz4321 is offline   Reply With Quote