View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Lizard
getDare Sweetheart

Default The Picture Debate

In another post (http://getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=9540) the thread veered off course into a small discussion about why the posting of pictures on this site is frowned upon. Rather than continue to take that thread off track, I thought I'd start one, with a title that might attract the attention of those who might not have taken any notice of the other, to post my views, and to see what comments might be attracted.

The two quotes from the other thread that caught my eye were:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominantjohn View Post
I'm more of the mentality of "pics or it didn't happen."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1(2) View Post
I'm guessing because for one thing the site is international, what's the fcc? Secondly it is, i would assume, a damn site easier to have a blanket rule of no pics with people than to say no pics that could be considered offensive, the site is likely on dodgy enough ground in places as it is. You have to remember that the minum age for here is something like 13!
I think sum1(2) has a point, and I also have to believe that managing the site from a disk space perspective is far easier when there are no pics to worry about.

Personally, while a picture might be worth 1,000 words to some, I'd rather have the words; embellished or not. Rather than a pic, or two, of some stranger standing and doing something, I want to know what was going through their head at the time. Things that cannot be captured in a picture, like: what did they do to prepare for it, how many times did they balk, what were they feeling just before, during, and after. A picture is only a milisecond of the whole event, and I want to read about the whole event, and when one has words to read, in my humble opnion, the pictures only add clutter.

(I realise that not everybody will agree with that, but that is why I'm posting this!)

One of the reasons I decided to join GetDare was because it wasn't clutterd with pics. A few years ago there was a site on Yahoo -- Dare Tiffany. That site was about the story telling of a few brave souls and the dares that they did. I loved that site, and was pretty irritated when the group just disappeared.

The GetDare site is very much like that Dare Tiff site -- an international community, good dialog, and lots of words which allow me to make the pictures in my mind!

Kudos to Depp, and the GetDare stafff, for organising such a success.

LIzard crawls down from the soapbox and seeks a nice patch of blazing hot sun to bask in.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote