View Single Post
Old 05-12-2023, 07:15 AM   #11
DeepInnerFreak
getDare Succubus

I want to say something because this thread is pissing me off.

Before I start, I am in no way affiliated with getDare as an owner nor have I ever been a member of staff. I am simply an account holder, like most of you. Some of what I argue is based on assumption, some of it is based on information I already know about the site having used it for many years.

getDare is what it is; An old platform that became more successful than it's original purpose. It is not some big company with huge pools of money with paid staff and a legal team.

getDare, as far as I am aware, is very cheaply run and makes very, very little money. It likely just covers the cost to run the servers. It was designed to be a place for people to have fun, and explore dares, back when the internet was a lot more fun. Nothing more.

It may be that the website is built in a way that is not compliant with the current bureaucracy. It looks to be using very old software and I am confident the back end is clunky and non-user friendly. I mean, the front-end is hardly easy to operate at times. I know a few other websites that use a similar forum layout/function which also have this same problem. It is not an issue for just getDare.

I believe there are two problems. Firstly I don't think the tech software behind the site allows for posts/accounts to be deleted, hence the trashcan thread. Secondly, even if that function was there, who is going to do it? They have no staff, just unpaid volunteers. The only person that really ever did anything has now left.

Realistically, the majority of users do not use their own name, upload real photo's of themselves or have their accounts set up in a way that would be easily identifiable as them in their "vanilla" world.

Personally I would be more concerned about the actual tech giants who do own your pictures, personal search history, data and metadata. Even if they "delete" it from public view, they still keep it. Go cry at them.

Nothing you ever post on here, any other website, app, SMS message or other digital footprint is ever truly deleted.

We live in a world where people seem quite happy to point the finger at others. They think they are safe or smart in hiding behind or regurgitating some law or statement, to make themselves feel better or look big and clever, without actually thinking the consequences through and taking responsibility for their actions.

When you set up an account, you are told posts and accounts are not deleted. If you are not happy with this, then don't set up an account and post. Choosing to take that step is your responsibility as an adult with a brain. It seems a little strange to know this information upfront and then point it out as a flaw at a later date.

If GDPR laws are so important to you, then why set up an account on a site that has indicated that it likely can not adhere to them?

As an adult, looking at your arguments, I see three options for you;
  1. Accept what it is and move on. Find similar websites that can offer you what getDare does for free (good luck with that by the way).
  2. Seek legal advice.
  3. Set up your own website.

The outcome of all this pissing and moaning will likely just end to the site being taken down. It is not worth any of the stress to the owner(s) that your arguments highlight. They will not start paying people to do what you want them to do and it will not pay to modernise the software. It will not result in any monetary reward for account holders or fines as the money to do this just doesn't exist.

If the site does get taken down then great! I hope you feel big and clever.

Loves, Likes & Limits
DeepInnerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to DeepInnerFreak for this post: