Thread: Being a Dom...
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #21
Merlin
Misschievous's Authority

Default Part 5

This part will be about the question: What if things go wrong?

To be honest this was not planned by me to be a part of the thread. But a personal experience showed me that i should add this.
As a Dom (and this includes myself) you will sometimes feel like you are inerrant and that you have everything under control all the time. But sometimes you have to learn that this is wrong. Things can and will go wrong.
I told you to plan everything to think about the unthinkable, all this is important and will help you prevent many things. Still sooner or later you will make a little mistake, and even if this single mistake doesn't cause a lot of trouble it can get a disaster if 2 or 3 of them fall together.
There can always happen things you didn't predict. Or a little misunderstanding can cause a big effect. Or even a thing meant to help can go totally wrong.
You should always be aware that if things go wrong people can get hurt, and it is also important to mention that i don't talk only about physical things here, most of the time this will also have an psychical effect too. Especially to a person that relies on you to care for them.

Now as we learned that sooner or later these things can and will happen, what should we do if they have happened?
First thing you should do is prevent any more harm to the sub. Stop whatever you are doing, and do whatever is necessary to prevent your sub to be harmed any more. Make sure that everything is ok. Call a doctor if needed. Whatever...
If everything is made to prevent any more harm, the next thing is talk with your sub about it. How does he feel? What was the Problem? How does he see the situation?
If all this is settled you can start to try to find out why the things have gone wrong. Important! This is not to find the offender, most of the time it was your fault anyways, but you need to know were things have gone wrong to see what to change to prevent them from happening again.

After things like this you should always be sure to be there for your Sub. You both have just learned that a Dom is human, and as this lesson can be hard for you it can be even harder for your Sub. Care for them, reassure them that everything will be alright. The worst thing you can do is ignoring them. They need to be able to rely on you especially when something went wrong.

And the last step is learn from it. We all do mistakes sometimes. All we can do is to keep them as minimal as posible. But it is important to learn from them. Analyse what went wrong. Think of what you can change to prevent the same thing from happening again. Don't be afraid to even ask your Sub what he would change.
You can always make a mistake, but you should never do the same one again.

Conclusion:
After something went wrong you should:
- minimize the harm
- talk about it
- analyse what went wrong
- be there for your Sub
- learn from it

[to be continued]

my 500th post

Last edited by Merlin; 02-04-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote