Thread: Fiction: Cabin 11: Summer Camp Story
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 07:56 AM   #3
littlegrey

Default Chapter 1.2: School’s Out

School was never my favourite place to be; I don’t know many people who do think school is their favourite place to be, but it certainly isn’t mine. I do play; mainly Bs and a few Cs but I never fail. Well, except for one time I flunked Math but we do not ever discuss that.

I arrived today greeted to a screaming Brooke running across the lawn, past the giant fountain with a statue of one of our founders…or a President…never sure which, and into the parking lot. Come to think of it, that statue may be of a squirrel.

Brooke linked arms with me and, breathless from running and screaming, simply and calmly said, “3 hours til Summer. 1 day til camp.”

One of the best things about this summer camp was that it started the day immediately after we all got out of school; it was the perfect way to start the summer break and totally allowed you to spread your wings away from home as you unwind from the pressures of the academic year.

“Oh. My. Days. I am so excited. I can genuinely hardly believe my Mom is letting me go. You did a great job that day you came round to tell her about your experience; I think that really did sell it for her.”

“Well good cause frankly it was all bullshit.”

I flinched, but tried not to let it show. My Mom swore - she wasn’t a Christian - but Brooke and I did not. When we were little and used to have sleepovers we used to say bad words under the blanket and giggle for hours, but not now. It sounded weird coming out from her so freely.

“What do you mean? I thought you said - “

“Nancy, listen. I think it’s about time I told you the truth about this summer camp. Because honestly, I think you’ve got the totally wrong impression.” By now Brooke had let go of my arm and was facing me with her arms folded. This Brooke was bossy.

“Well what is it like then?”

“We’re going to be late for class.” She paused. Thinking. “I’m already packed. Why don’t I stay at yours tonight? We can say it’s because we want to be ready to set off early. I’ll tell you all then.”

“Tell me all what?!” I’ll admit I was a little bit freaked out now.

“Tell you all about why it’s nickname is Camp Dare, of course.” She smiled. Looking back, that smile should’ve told me all I needed to know.

Please leave feedback on my stories, it's always good to know if people are enjoying them.

Also, if you would like to chat,discuss story ideas or play t or d, please kik me at littlegrey2012

You know you love me
xoxo
Little Grey
littlegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 users say Thank You to littlegrey for this post: