Thread: Fiction: Home (Almost) Alone
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
Wordsmiff
Distinguished Member

Default Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

“If there’s any problems,” Gemma’s mother said, “The phone number’s stuck to the fridge.”

“Yes, mum,” Gemma said, as she stood on the doorstep.

Her father drove the car round from the garage and pulled up on the driveway.

“We’ll be back about eleven,” her mother said, as she walked to the car. “ Make sure Tiffany and Jessica are in bed by nine at the latest.”

“Yes, mum,” Gemma said. She waved as her mother climbed into the car and they pulled out of the driveway onto the road.

Gemma continued waving until the car was out of sight, even though she knew her parents couldn’t see her, and then she went back inside and closed the door.

Eleven o clock, she thought, say they’ll be back about ten thirty to be on the safe side. She looked at the time. It was six-thirty. There were four hours to pass; what could she do?

At fourteen, she was being trusted to look after her ten-year-old and eight-year-old sisters while her parents went out for the evening.

She went back into the lounge where her sisters were watching a DVD. “Is everything okay?” she asked them.

The youngsters just nodded without taking their eyes off the cartoon movie they were watching.

Gemma looked round the room to see that there was nothing that could harm her sisters and then said, “I’m just going to make a phone call and then I’ll be back. If you need anything, call me, I’ll just be in my room.”

The two youngsters nodded.

“And you have to get your pyjamas on in about an hour, okay?”

The two youngsters nodded without looking up.

Gemma smiled. They’d be okay for about half an hour. She went upstairs to her room and dialled a number on her mobile phone.

It was answered within about five seconds.

“Hiya,” she said, “It’s me, Gem. How are you?”

“I’m fine,” the male voice on the other end said. “You?”

“Yeah,” Gemma said. “I’m looking after Tiff and Jess but they’re going to bed at half seven.”

”What do you fancy doing then?” he asked.

“I was wondering if you fancied coming round later.”

“Sure. What time?”

Half seven,” Gemma said. “We’ll have till about ten-fifteen.”

“Great. I’ll be there.”

“Don’t knock the door or ring the bell,” Gemma warned him. “Text me when you get here, I’ll let you in.”

Gemma chatted to him for about another twenty minutes before she finally decided to call it a day. She made a kissing sound. “You hang up first,” she said.

He hung up. She was expecting several bouts of “No, you hang up first,” before it happened but he just hung up.

Gemma took her phone downstairs to the lounge. The movie was just finishing and her sisters were singing along to the theme song.

Gemma made the youngsters a drink and waited until they’d finished it.

“Come on then,” she said, “Let’s get you two ready for bed now.”

“But it’s not half seven yet,” Tiffany complained.

Gemma looked at the time on her phone. “It’s close enough,” she said. It was just after seven o clock. She added, “You can keep the light on when you’re in bed and read for a bit or something if you like.”

“Can we play a game?” Jessica asked.

“Yes, if you like,” Gemma said, “Until nine o clock and then it’s lights out. Just don’t make too much noise.”

She took her two younger sisters upstairs to their room where they had bunk beds. “You don’t have to do your teeth yet,” Gemma said, “Just get your pyjamas on, and get into bed.”

Tiffany and Jessica undressed and put their pyjamas on. Jessica, being the youngest at eight, slept in the lower bunk. Ten-year-old Tiffany climbed up the metal ladder to the top bunk. From their beds, they had access to shelves which contained books and games.

They’ll be okay here, Gemma decided. She made sure they were happy and then she left the room but kept the door partly open so she could hear if they called her.

Gemma went into her own bedroom to change. She didn’t have time for a shower so she just changed out of her jeans and top and put on a button-down summer dress. Afterwards she gave herself a few squirts with her deodorant spray and viewed herself in the full-length mirror on her wardrobe door.

Before going downstairs again, she looked in on her sisters once more. “Everything still okay?”

“Yes,” Tiffany said.

“Call me if you need anything,” Gemma said, closing the door. As an afterthought, she opened the door again. “Don’t come downstairs,” she said.

“Why?” Jessica wanted to know.

“Just don’t,” Gemma said, “I have... homework to do before mom and dad get back.”

“Okay,” Tiffany and Jessica said in unison.

Gemma closed the bedroom door and went downstairs again to make a cup of coffee before putting the DVD away and turning on the TV. She glanced at the time again. It was seven twenty-five. She felt nervous and butterflies were hatching out of pupae in her stomach.

As soon as she sat down on the sofa, her phone beeped. A text message.

She looked at it.

“I’m outside now,” it read, “It’s freezing. Let me in.” A smiley face and three x’s were added at the end.

Gemma bit her lower lip. Too late to back out now, she thought. She stood up and went out to the front door. She opened the door to greet her visitor.

To be continued...
Wordsmiff is offline   Reply With Quote