Thread: [FICTION] A Long Time Coming, Chapter II
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
interesting
getDare Succubus

Location: Somewhere between here and there, in Quebec, Canada...
Default The Second Call

Roughly two days later, I came back from school to find a message on my answering machine. I did not pick it up at first; I was tired from the walk and I was very hungry, so I set to cooking myself up some dinner. The only people whoever called and left a message were my parents (saying they would be late) and my friend Steve. I knew it wasn't Steve, because I had seen him in the afternoon, and if it was my parents, it could wait a while.

As I sat down with my bowl of spaghetti, I pressed play. Danielle's voice came up and disrupted my train of thought.

"Hi Frank, it's Danielle. You're not home so I'm leaving a message. I just wanted to talk to you..."

There was a pause.

"I'm not doing so good, to be honest, and I could really use a friend. But... well, it's complicated. If you could be at home around nine, I'll call you back."

There was another pause.

"So, I hope to talk to you. If not, another time. Bye."

I listened in silence as the end of message beep cut off her voice. Her tone did not sound as distraught as our earlier conversation. I could tell she had calmed down - but about what? To know that a friend of mine needed help but to be unable to come to her rescue was unnerving.

I had made other plans for the night. The latest action movie had been out for a few weeks, and I really wanted to go see it with Steve. But Danielle's request had altered my plan. I was sad by the fact that this was my last opportunity to see the movie before it went out of the theater, but Danielle took precedence. I called Steve: he was obviously disappointed but he understood that something had come up. I promised to talk to him about it - eventually.

Steve was a friend I had carried over from my high school days, one of the few in fact. The rest of my gang had drifted away from me. Only Steve still hung out. I had found a kindred spirit in him in roleplaying games. We had done a lot, and then some. I had lost Paul; I had no intention of losing Steve. I always made sure to keep things clear and to protect my friendship. I could not have handled another breakup of that type. Steve felt the same way, so we got along splendidly. There would be other movies. There was only one Danielle.

The wait beside the phone was long. I tried to occupy myself by watching television, but my mind was elsewhere. My mother came into the house, so I went into my room. I told her I was expecting a call around nine and that I would answer the phone. My father was out of town on business, so his presence would not be troublesome. I did not want my mother prying into my business with Danielle; fortunately for me, she was a very reasonable and intelligent woman, who knew when and where to act and when and where to let go. I loved her very much for the way she had raised me (and I still do).

I worked on some of my stories, then lay down on my bed, my pillow tucked against my belly.

Then, the phone rang. I answered hurriedly.

"Hello?"
"Frank?"
"Danielle... hi. How are you?"
"Better... thanks."
"What's going on?"
"I... can't really talk."
"Are you in some kind of trouble? Because if you are..."
"No, nothing like that. I just... it's good to hear a friendly voice."
"I'm here. I just don't know what to do."

For a moment, I let silence creep in, but then I spoke up.

"Danielle, you called me. Tell me what I can do for you?"
"Honestly, you want to help me?"
"I do. I mean, if I can. If you just need an ear, I'm here..."

I heard her smile across the phone line.

"I'm glad. But it's complicated. Do you have an email adress?"
"I do."
"Can you give it to me?"

I gave her the coordinates. Her voice sounded pleased.

"Thanks. Great..."
"Let me guess. It's easier for us to chat this way..."
"Yes, well... easier, yes."
"Okay... you just email me whatever you want and I'll... reply."
"Great... I'm sorry to be so cryptic and all."
"I just need to know you're all right. If not, tell me where you are and I'll..."
"No, I'm good. Now. I'm good. It's a long story, and I don't fell like telling it on the phone. You can... read me. Okay?"
"Deal."

For a moment, we were both quiet.

"Frank?"
"Yes?"
"Would you like to play a game?"
"A game?"
"Like... remember when we played Truth or Dare?"
"I do. It was cool. You want to play it again?"
"No. Well, not exactly. I... I'll explain in my email. It'll come out better if I write it down, okay?"
"Of course."
"Great... I'll email you tomorrow, at the latest. I promise."
"Take your time. I'm just glad you're feeling better."
"Much better... do you have a picture of yourself?"
"I do. Do you want one?"
"Yes..."
"Well, there a few on my facebook page."
"Cool! You have facebook too? I'll add you."
"Okay."
"Listen, I... gotta go. But I'll be in touch. Read me?"
"I promise."
"Thanks. I.... thanks. Bye."
"Bye Danielle."

She hung up quickly. I was confused by the hesitations in her voice which contradicted her reassurances. But if anything major was wrong, she would be mature enough to do what was right, right? The deepening mystery was oddly getting on my nerves, despite my own assurances to the contrary. Why couldn't she elaborate on the phone? Why did she want to communicate via e-mail? What kind of game did she have in mind?

The uncertainty of my situation dawned on me. I felt the confusion take hold of my heart. I remembered my constant fear of doing something wrong six years ago, of going too far. This was different. The fear was for her. I didn't really know if I still loved her. I knew I had loved her. But the situation was slowly driving me into suspicion, and that could not have been good in the long run.

Still, only her email message would explain her situation, at least, I hoped it would. A mystery is always interesting, but it also needs development and eventual closure. This was the second time she had brought back the uncertainty in my life with but her voice. Her written words would hopefully shed some light on whatever was going on.