Thread: [FICTION] A Long Time Coming
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
interesting
getDare Succubus

Location: Somewhere between here and there, in Quebec, Canada...
Default A Long Time Coming - Night shifts gears on us...

(On a side note, it's fun to write a story that doesn't 'devolve' into all-out sexual situations; on another, it's also nice to write something that doesn't really have lesbianism in it - I guess I am sort of fixated on it, looking back at my other stories. But I digress. Enjoy!

"So... what's going on here?"

Paul had time to repeat his question, and that wasn't a good thing. I was frozen in place, unable to answer. I had no idea how much Paul could have seen. It could theoretically have been a lot without our knowledge: after all, there was a window looking out from the dining room onto the swimming pool. He could have stared through it the whole time. Engrossed in our activities as we were, we would never have seen him.

I looked away from Danielle and Rita, who were fortunately at the other end of the pool, whereas a few moments before that, they were each giving me a slap on my behind, after I failed to complete my dare.

Danielle was the first to speak.

"Swimming."

Paul looked at her, then back at me.

"Frank, can I talk to you for a moment?"
"Sure."

Why would I say no? I got out of the water, wrapped a towel around my waist and followed him outside of the swimming area, up the stairs to the dining room.

"Are they bothering you?"
"No. I was just swimming and they came along. No big deal."

Paul was clearly suspicious of something, and my denial only aggravated things.

"Look, Frank, I'm no dummy."
"What do you mean?"
"Is there something going on between you and Danielle?"
"No, of course not."

It wasn't technically a lie, since after all there really was nothing more than just playful banter, but it felt like a distortion of the truth, and it must have transpired in my voice, because Paul looked at me with some disgust.

"Don't tell me you fancy my sister?"

I didn't want to lie, but I didn't want to tell the truth either. Anyway, the truth was more complicated than I could even explain.

"No, Paul, I don't. She's nice and all, but she's thirteen, and she's your sister."

He didn't seem fully convinced but my words did appease him. I continued.

"I was swimming when they came over. We chatted, and I do think that Rita has a crush on both of us."
"Both?"
"Yeah. It's just an older guy thing. It doesn't mean anything."
"It doesn't?"
"I don't think so. We're just more mature and maybe she likes that. She's just dragging Danielle along for the ride, I imagine."
"Yeah, well... don't get any ideas, okay."
"Paul, I would never do anything to hurt you or your family."

My tone finished convincing him that nothing was going on - and it was sincere, since after all, nothing was going on. Nothing more than a friendly, funny game of truth or dare. But it was over now. As quickly as it had started. Given the situation, I wouldn't be able to go there and keep playing. We'd gone a full round. That would be the last time I would ever play with them.

"I'll go get my stuff and meet you in your room, okay?"
"Sure. Don't take long. I have this wicked composition I want to make you hear."
"Good."

Paul was back to his usual self, his fears dissipated. As he returned to his room, I went back to the pool to pick up the stuff I had left there. Danielle and Rita were both still in the water, awaiting my return. I had to disappoint them. Danielle popped the first question.

"Did he give you a scolding?"
"No. He just cares about you."
"Are you coming back?"
"No... I'll go do some music with him."

I could tell that both Rita and Danielle were disappointed. I was glad they didn't feel the need to hide it anymore. I was disappointed too; I was having fun until Paul came along. But maybe I was having too much fun. Maybe I was allowing myself to believe in chances that weren't there.

"That's too bad?"
"Can't you stay a little?"

Danielle's insisting voice made me smile. I crouched near the water.

"I had fun, I really did. Thank you."

I smilled as Danielle and Rita swam up near me. For a moment, we locked stares; I stared into Danielle's eyes and felt the potential connection, the one I had been dreaming about. How utterly predictable that it would be as fleeting as everything else in my life. I got up from my position, retrieved my clothes and didn't bother looking back. But Rita called out to me.

"Frank?"
"Yes?"

I turned my head to face them. She climbed out of the water, walked up to me and gave me a big hug. She then giggled, then went back into the water. I left them there, with a smile on my face, a smile which I managed to hide when I finally made it to Paul's room, after drying myself and changing clothes in the bathroom.

"Ah! There you are!"
"Here I am..."

I sat down on the edge of his bed. We talked music. He made me listen to his latest composition, the arrangement of chords and notes. It was actually pretty good, had a nice rhythm to it, something you could almost dance to. A few times during the listening, my mind wandered to the girls in the pool and what they might be doing, but I quickly came back to the moment.

After about an hour of music, we moved into the living room to plug in a movie. We finally plugged in the original Terminator movie and watched it from start to finish. During the final scene where the Terminator is being crushed by the machines, Paul's parents came home. We put the film on hold and welcomed them.

"You aren't in bed yet?"
"No, we'll be going to bed after the movie. It's almost done, anyway."
"All right. Don't stay up late too long."

I was intrigued that I had not seen the girls through the entire watching of the movie; I imagined they had retreated to Danielle's room. It was probably for the best.

The movie ended. Paul and I got into our pajamas, then dropped by the kitchen for a snack before going to bed. My eyes wandered towards the pool but all the lights were out. Paul went straight to his room but i hung out in the dining room for a few moments, eating my cookies and drinking my juice. I was content with my evening, even if it had rattled my feelings quite a bit. I put the glass in the sink and headed towards Paul's room. I stopped as I neared the stairs; I saw the shape of Danielle, dressed in a blue pajama with a teddy bear motif, sitting on the steps. I was about to talk but she put her finger on her mouth. I remained quiet.

She handed me a folded note, then quietly headed back up the stairs. I took the note, unfolded it and read it. My heart skipped a beat.

'Meet me at the pool after two AM, once everyone is asleep. Please.'

I stared at the words long and hard, wondering if this was a joke. But I knew it wasn't. I knew it couldn't be, not after the look she had given me at the pool.

I folded the piece of paper into a ball, put it in my mouth and swallowed it. I said nothing as I entered Paul's room and got to rest on the makeshift bed. He was already under the covers. He turned to me.

"You okay?"
"Sure. Tired."
"See you tomorrow morning."
"Yeah. Good night."
"Good night."

I didn't want to sleep. I was so tired but I didn't want to sleep. It was barely past midnight. Two hours lying awake in bed. Would she be able to remain awake? Would I? What could happen? What was I expecting?

I was hoping these questions would keep me awake long enough... but what could I really expect from this nightly encounter? What did Danielle want from me? And would I be able to give it to her, whatever it was?

The thoughts would indeed keep me awake, giving the night a surreal effect that would not dissipate until the questions found their answers, after two in the morning, by the swimming pool, with Danielle.