View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
pranadevil
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elin0553 View Post
We should put more into signing up. Like..I don't know a question on light and heat wave relativity. (the little mirages that look like water on the road)
I'm 26 and haven't got a clue what any of that is myself.

Short of demanding anyone who signs up saying they're 18+ to have a picture of them with their ID in hand and making it an extremely large picture, I doubt there's a lot that can be done to prevent younger users signing up as older than they are. All we can do is ask everyone to let a staff member know (with proof) if someone is found to be underage.

It's like a lot of things in life, you can't guarentee anything, but if you start placing restrictions on stuff to prevent the few who do try and bend the rules and get round it, those who are honest and follow the rules wind up getting punished for it as well.

It also comes down to the individual as well, if that 13/14/15/whatever year old wants to do those sort of dares, then they'll end up doing them regardless, whether they do so by being honest about their age, or by lying about it, and people will be out there to give them those dares. I suppose at least being on here, and being honest, people can warn of dangers that are out there if a dare seems particularly risky for a younger user.

Although I did spend a bit of time going through the archives as I was bored, and I found that it was taken too far on some of Bettyboop's threads, where rather than her getting the dares she requested, she wound up with a ton of people giving "advice", I think one statement of "be careful if you do this because of *reasons*" is fine, it gives the person the ability to see if the risk is worth taking or not, but it is ultimately up to the person doing the dares to make the assessment. I see no reason to ruin the thread because of personal opinion, if you have concerns then raise them once (and if someone else has already raised them in the thread, I see no reason to make the same comment), if the person taking the dare still wishes to do them, it is completely their choice, you are choosing to read their thread, if you do not like it you can just not read the thread any further.

We have enough of a nanny state around as it is, without turning this forum into one as well.

I think I may have come across as ranting in places there, didn't mean to, just try putting across my point though I tend to not be all that great at doing that too well, however I'm pretty sure everyone can see where I'm coming from.
pranadevil is offline   Reply With Quote