getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   getDare.com (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Misleading members (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=325658)

blasie2 10-29-2017 06:23 AM

Misleading members

I have recently come across a member with a 20-30s profile pic but upon talking to them they are in reality 50 is this something I should expect I want to have fun with people my own age not those who are nearly 3x my age

Chephren 10-29-2017 06:32 AM

You are moving in the internet. For all you know I could be a very clever dog typing and answering you...

Butterfly 10-29-2017 09:51 AM

People can be whoever they want to be on the internet. There are always going to be people who lie about their age, gender, weight, hair color, job, etc.

50 percent of the people around here who say they are 18 are probably underage.

That is why it is important to go slow, get to know people before you trust them and be aware of the risks before doing anything you may regret.

Masterwants 10-30-2017 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chephren (Post 3015540)
You are moving in the internet. For all you know I could be a very clever dog typing and answering you...

You'll be able to tell when it's my dog typing, the lack of typos give it away! :p

Runesmith 11-01-2017 12:55 AM

Many people "pad up their resumé" on the internet. Reading my posts, you might think I am a handsome, debonair and devilishly clever spy/international man of mystery, who drives a wickedly powerful 2017 Aston Martin DB9. But in real life, I only drive a DB7.

MiStraLan 11-01-2017 02:09 AM

Says the guy who keeps claiming here that he's up for (nearly) all dares and challenges, but hasn't reacted a single time I tried to contact him via kik, not even to say he isn't interested after all.

Runesmith 11-01-2017 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiStraLan (Post 3019003)
Says the guy who keeps claiming here that he's up for (nearly) all dares and challenges, but hasn't reacted a single time I tried to contact him via kik, not even to say he isn't interested after all.

Have you considered the possibility that the threadstarter may simply not be Interested in you? Although he states that he "up for nearly anything", that doesn't imply that he plays with everyone - in fact, his thread implies just the opposite, that he has very strong selective preferences.

Basic (unwritten) rules of social interaction:
- just because someone is friends with everyone, it doesn't mean they will be friends with you
- just because someone sleeps with everyone, it doesn't mean they will sleep with you
- just because someone is a sub, it doesn't mean they will submit to you
- just because someone is a Dom, it doesn't mean they will want to dominate you
- Just because someone is a prolific dare taker, it doesn't mean they will accept dares from you
- Just because someone is a prolific dare giver, it doesn't mean they will give you dares.
- et cetera, ad infinitum, ad nauseum

Everything is personal. So establish a personal relationship first before jumping off the deep end.

SeaFlower 11-01-2017 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runesmith (Post 3018970)
Many people "pad up their resumé" on the internet. Reading my posts, you might think I am a handsome, debonair and devilishly clever spy/international man of mystery, who drives a wickedly powerful 2017 Aston Martin DB9. But in real life, I only drive a DB7.

And that was the misleading part here. I'd bet you DO have the DB9

RiskyFlame 11-01-2017 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blasie2 (Post 3015523)
I have recently come across a member with a 20-30s profile pic but upon talking to them they are in reality 50 is this something I should expect I want to have fun with people my own age not those who are nearly 3x my age

So if a user has set its profile picture to a naughty dog, do you expect the user to be a dog as well?

Runesmith 11-01-2017 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiskyFlame (Post 3019172)
So if a user has set its profile picture to a naughty dog, do you expect the user to be a dog as well?

But... but... SeaFlower is a flower, right? I mean, she has to be. She won't post a pic of a flower to mislead us, right?

As far as my pic is concerned, it IS a bit misleading. In the years since I uploaded it, my chest hair has grown.

Runesmith 11-01-2017 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaFlower (Post 3019113)
And that was the misleading part here. I'd bet you DO have the DB9

Fiendishly clever for a flower, aren't you? I am beginning to wonder whether you are a KGB plant.

Now, although I was defending the threadstarter's right to selective preferences, I do agree that the premise of this thread is silly. 98.3% of photos in advertisements are misleading. 99.2% of photos on dating sites are misleading. 83.6% of all photos on instagram are doctored/filtered - the rest are disgusting. 100% of the things that Trump says are misleading.

Since the dawn of civilization the principle of caveat emptor has rules over practically every social interaction. It's even more applicable in the internet age.

Edgeandenial 11-01-2017 06:57 AM

It's internet ...most of the profiles are misleading here.
Only way you can be sure is by getting to mow them better as a person before jumping into doing tasks or play and other stuff

sweetie_sub1983 11-01-2017 07:32 AM

I love the playful way this thread has gone.

Runesmith, you are now a legend...as long as the KGB doesn't figure out if it's really a DB9 or DB7

Like Edgeandenial says, you really have to spend some time getting to know the people you chat with as it does seem that a lot of the profiles are misleading. I don't know about most, but certainly a lot.

kurious kat 11-02-2017 08:14 AM

Runesmith does that to all the threads. It keeps the rest of us from getting catty. ...Most of us, anyway.

To answer the original poster, it's healthy to look for dare or chat partners who have things in common with you. Age brackets can definitely be a factor if you're trying to find a romantic partner, depending on what you are looking for and enjoy. But keep in mind that people get a lot of grief over their looks in general, so it's perfectly common for folks to use a younger picture, or a found picture, simply to avoid getting cruel messages from strangers about it. There are a lot of guys here with a girl's avatar, too, because the real or anime person shown is what they're looking for -- or how they see themselves in their heads, rather than the mirror.

Of course, some people will lie about their gender or age outright (see Butterfly's point about minors who claim to be 18, among others), but my experience has been that the majority of interesting users here seem to be honest when it comes up directly. If you find you are enjoying someone's ideas enough for their age or gender to be relevant on an ongoing basis, you can always contact them privately and ask.