getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   getDare.com (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   This is why we can't have nice things (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=14380)

depp 08-06-2008 07:57 PM

This is why we can't have nice things

Reputation has been disabled. I'm so sick of hearing fucking complaints about it.

FEAR NOT! Reputation will be back later with enhancements that will hopefully solve the current problems. I was hoping on squeezing a few more months in before a getDare upgrade but this will be necessary for the changes I want to do. Expect big change by the end of the month. I will update everyone on possible downtime as I plan a day to fix things.

qwertypete 08-06-2008 08:06 PM

Wow... I don't know what to say. Good job, I guess! ;)

You and Chloe do have a very good point, though... a lot of people seem to think they're so much more 'powerful' on a forum, so they can do whatever they want and not care about consequences. Now people should realize that they shouldn't be so mean to new forumers. Why don't people just look at their other posts for trends in spelling, and if they continually spell bad, then maybe give bad rep, maybe.

shadoweater 08-06-2008 09:27 PM

The system should definitely work in a way that senior members or members with better rep themselves will have a greater effect when they rep other people.

erick92 08-06-2008 09:30 PM

I think the reputation system was great. It showed how much quality a users posts had - but when you start to abuse the system it becoms completely pointless. How is the reputation of a user supposed to be accurate if a member goes around giving -rep to people saying "u dun knw how 2 speel so i -rep u". You don't, can can't. The same goes for things like "Ha! I felt like +reping you!". Now I will admit I am guilty of the second charge, but most of the time gave +rep on good posts, and left a valid comment. Hope everything clears up soon.

Hampers 08-06-2008 11:29 PM

Congratulations, everyone. I hope you're all proud of yourself.

tilly07 08-06-2008 11:32 PM

Thank you for removing rep. It was kind of getting annoying trying to be the best lol. I'm going to admit I have asked for rep.

Bebe_Gurl 08-07-2008 12:07 AM

Well, I'm currious to see what the new system will be like. And I got really freaked out when I saw that there was no rep and I pm-ed Naughty Chloe. So just ignore my message.

depp 08-07-2008 12:55 AM

All old rep is still saved. The new system will basically be a ton of new rules to prevent abuse. Reputation will return. :)

Bebe_Gurl 08-07-2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depp (Post 81583)
All old rep is still saved. The new system will basically be a ton of new rules to prevent abuse. Reputation will return. :)

Well good then, mabye a rep change is just what GetDare needs after the huge recent uproar.

Bandit|Queen 08-07-2008 02:11 AM

Don't blame you for disabling it. I think the main thing was using it to give bad rep for stupid things. I got it for a lounge game lol. I think the people abusing it really should just grow up. I don't really understand why bad rep is needed. If you don't like someones post ignore it or say so, don't be a coward and give them bad rep without signing it!

Hampers you sound like my dad :p

Hampers 08-07-2008 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempered_sugar (Post 81590)
Hampers you sound like my dad :p

I have something to tell you when you get home...

Bandit|Queen 08-07-2008 04:01 AM

:eek: Now I am scared to go home!

Davros 08-07-2008 05:45 AM

I had a reputation comment but I can't read it x.x

Looking forward to the changes Depp's making :)

Will it cut the amount of rep threads? *fingers crossed*

SubMissChievous 08-07-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadoweater (Post 81562)
The system should definitely work in a way that senior members or members with better rep themselves will have a greater effect when they rep other people.

It was already like that. Basically users with higher post counts & rep had the ability to effect more another user's reputation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickj92 (Post 81564)
I think the reputation system was great. It showed how much quality a users posts had - but when you start to abuse the system it becoms completely pointless. How is the reputation of a user supposed to be accurate if a member goes around giving -rep to people saying "u dun knw how 2 speel so i -rep u". You don't, can can't. The same goes for things like "Ha! I felt like +reping you!". Now I will admit I am guilty of the second charge, but most of the time gave +rep on good posts, and left a valid comment. Hope everything clears up soon.

Exactly. I never saw a real problem with the system but more with how it has been used especially the last few months. Aside from the problem I pointed in my thread yesterday I think the problem was more general & that users need to calm down a bit. I have seen also a lot of positive rep being thrown as if they were candies for replies in Lounge games & the likes. It just seemed to me that you could have a higher rep just by having friends on the site no matter what you post... That's why I went out & asked for mine to be disabled yesterday I just felt that the whole thing had no value to it...

Of course, I am curious too to see what the new changes are going to be. But I'm even more curious to see if users will grow up & be able to use it with a bit of better judgment. Quite frankly this rep thing had become bigger than the site with all these rep threads popping up every week not to mention the increasing amount of people begging for rep in posts & sigs... :rolleyes: I really hope that this "rep break" will allow everyone to realize that there's more than rep on this site...

ramsies11 08-07-2008 07:50 AM

same i wanna see the new changes for rep
ill admit i got tired of the old system because i got -rep for a game post and no comment

i think the new rep system will be even better