getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Doctor Who (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=45160)

Captain Harkness 08-16-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Shadows (Post 517959)
I am loving Torchwood so much this time around, Im not sure what has changed but ever since the children of earth series thing Torchwood seems to have stepped it up several notches. Like, it was dark before, but the children of earth and miracle day stuff takes it to a whole next level. I do love it though, even if a lot of people complain about it. I guess I just don't pay a whole lot of attention to the little details. Mekhi Phifer/ Rex is hot anyway so I am content.

I do miss when it was UK made though. Im not sure why they did it but it kinda just doesn't feel right. They wouldn't let Doctor Who into the hands of the Americans in Hollywood I'm not sure why they did with Torchwood. Ill still happily watch though.

I did have a lot of fun watching the Christopher Eccleston doctor who on watch today though. It feels so long ago. But it was cool.

A whole six years.

Slenderman - Doctor 08-16-2011 03:41 PM

Ahh, Eccleston is hardly remembered these days. Sad times :(

New blog design and more reviews have been posted ;)

peaceful_soul 08-16-2011 04:23 PM

I was wondering when this thread would reach the 100 page mark. Congrats to all you doctor who fanatics...you guys really are crazy. ;)

Puggsley 08-16-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor (Post 518192)
Ahh, Eccleston is hardly remembered these days. Sad times :(

New blog design and more reviews have been posted ;)

Its a pity, I loved Eccleston. I thought his Dr was fantastic, and he brought the series back. It is a pity he only did one season, but if he did more, then we might not have got Tennant, and he was superb.

I do agree with your review of Vincent and the Doctor, this was also one of my most favorite episodes. I loved it on so many levels. Why is it they can get the one offs so right, but cannot pull together the episodes that deal with the season long theme?

I am looking forward to the season kicking off again, as I'm holding out hope for another great episode like this.

fraajad 08-16-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvaleyard (Post 516967)
Hey I'm back...

I saw this too. I did see a clip for The Middle Men and of Jack turning on his charm with a girl to try to get information out of her about PhiCorp and meet with an administrator of the organization. Kind of flirtatious, kind of...

It is not very spoilery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucP790_Ezvo

Anyway has Jack ever been seen sleeping with girl? Beside just has been talked about or seen through having childern. I can't recall. I think they should have him sleep with a girl, just to be extra clear that he is bisexual/pansexual. (This is coming from a gay guy :D)

Oh he should sleep with an alien too! Like a Silurian or something.

I'm about in step with the British and have been watching it on the iPlayer. Good old proxies. I don't get Starz.

Silurians are not aliens, they come from earth so that is like saying dogs are aliens just because they are not human. Doctor who is my favorite show ever! The way Amy and the Doctor interact is wonderful.

Riley Taylor 08-16-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peaceful_soul (Post 518228)
I was wondering when this thread would reach the 100 page mark. Congrats to all you doctor who fanatics...you guys really are crazy. ;)

Yeah, well... y'know.

40 year long show deserves at LEAST 100 pages, don't you agree?

As for Eccleston, I feel he's an underrated Doctor, but you also have to remember that people are judging him by his episodes, and there were a lot of weak episodes with the 9th Doctor.

You can blame Davies for terrible episodes the 9th Doctor had (and a few good arcs with lame endings) and for Eccleston deciding to split after one season. He wanted more "the Doctor being an awesome alien dude" and Davies wanted more "will he ever tell Rose he loves her" episodes. As it stands, I didn't mind the drama type stuff, but liked it much more when it was mixed in WITH the science fiction aspects. The Doctor is at his most interesting when you're kind of afraid of him. Like at the end of the episode where he met Donna, when...

Spoiler:
...he killed all the babies of that spider woman in front of her, then left her to be blown up...

Or Family of Blood, where...

Spoiler:
...he granted the family immortality, like they wanted, but in the form of eternal torment and misery.

That's why, while I like Tennant the most out of any actor I've ever seen portray the Doctor, I like the 11th Doctor better as a character than any of his predecessors since the 2005 reboot. He's more of an awkward, out of place alien, and the sparseness of his moments of real vulnerability and sorrow, and those occasional comments where you can tell that he's upset but hiding it very, very well, all the more intense.

Remember Amy's Choice?

"Only one person in the universe hates me as much as you do."

Spoiler:
And then at the end of the episode, you realize it's the Doctor's subconscious doing it the whole time.

But the whole time the 11th Doctor is around, he's relatively calm, fun (albeit dangerous) to be around, and tries to keep it lighthearted. Literally a man who carries the weight of the universe on his shoulders. But unlike the 10th Doctor and (to a lesser extent) the 9th, he doesn't bitch and moan about it anywhere near as much.

Star Shadows 08-17-2011 01:52 AM

I never thought this thread would be as popular as it was when I first made it, I had totally underestimated harkness and doctor as contributing to it. I figured it would have just died out. So thanks :D

I do agree with you though, Eccelston was under appreciated as a doctor because of how comparatively weak the episodes were. I love Matt Smith now though, as unconvinced as I was to start with.

Captain Harkness 08-17-2011 01:07 PM

INTRESTING!
The Mirror has reported, Billie, Feeema and Cathrine will return in 2012.
This is too build up to the 50th anniversiery which moffat has stated 'I want to do several things for such a landmark'
Tennent has said he would be more than happy to come back but Eccelson has been more quiet.
COlin Baker also said he thought it'd be great to get as many living Doctors as possible in the 50th year.

Slenderman - Doctor 08-17-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peaceful_soul (Post 518228)
I was wondering when this thread would reach the 100 page mark. Congrats to all you doctor who fanatics...you guys really are crazy.

Yes, yes we are, aren't we? *waves*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puggsley (Post 518314)
Its a pity, I loved Eccleston. I thought his Dr was fantastic, and he brought the series back. It is a pity he only did one season, but if he did more, then we might not have got Tennant, and he was superb.

I do agree with your review of Vincent and the Doctor, this was also one of my most favorite episodes. I loved it on so many levels. Why is it they can get the one offs so right, but cannot pull together the episodes that deal with the season long theme?

I am looking forward to the season kicking off again, as I'm holding out hope for another great episode like this.

:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraajad (Post 518323)
Silurians are not aliens, they come from earth so that is like saying dogs are aliens just because they are not human. Doctor who is my favorite show ever! The way Amy and the Doctor interact is wonderful.

To be picky, if they're not human, they can be 'alien' (in the sense you have people who are alienated, for example). Just use it as an insult, rather than a term/name. But I get your drift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley Taylor (Post 518325)
Yeah, well... y'know.

48 year long show deserves at LEAST 100 pages, don't you agree?

As for Eccleston, I feel he's an underrated Doctor, but you also have to remember that people are judging him by his episodes, and there were a lot of weak episodes with the 9th Doctor.

Really? The only weak spots were with the Slitheen, IMO. The rest were above average/great! :)

But the whole time the 11th Doctor is around, he's relatively calm, fun (albeit dangerous) to be around, and tries to keep it lighthearted. Literally a man who carries the weight of the universe on his shoulders. But unlike the 10th Doctor and (to a lesser extent) the 9th, he doesn't bitch and moan about it anywhere near as much.

Yes! (Also added stuff in your quote, as I couldn't be arsed replying to stuff individually, heh.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Shadows (Post 518424)
I never thought this thread would be as popular as it was when I first made it, I had totally underestimated harkness and doctor as contributing to it. I figured it would have just died out. So thanks.

I do agree with you though, Eccelston was under appreciated as a doctor because of how comparatively weak the episodes were. I love Matt Smith now though, as unconvinced as I was to start with.

Well it's a great show; and, as has been mentioned, it deserves 100+ pages :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Harkness (Post 518684)
INTRESTING!
The Mirror has reported, Billie, Feeema and Cathrine will return in 2012.
This is too build up to the 50th anniversiery which moffat has stated 'I want to do several things for such a landmark'
Tennent has said he would be more than happy to come back but Eccelson has been more quiet.
COlin Baker also said he thought it'd be great to get as many living Doctors as possible in the 50th year.

Have they? I know people have reported that Billie/Freema/Tate will be in "Let's Kill Hitler" (because they do make cameo appearances!) but hadn't heard they'd be back for 2012... and 2013 is the anniversary year, so it'd make more sense for them to return in 2013, not 2012. Not convinced on that, sorry.

The more the merrier! :D

Riley Taylor 08-17-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctor (Post 518749)
let's kill hitler

Please tell me the episode is actually called that. Please. That's amazing. A Doctor Who episode called "Let's Kill Hitler." The only way it could be cooler is if it was called "Nazi-punching for Fun and Profit."

Captain Harkness 08-17-2011 02:42 PM

If they are in 2012 it could be the christmas special.

Slenderman - Doctor 08-17-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley Taylor (Post 518752)
Please tell me the episode is actually called that. Please. That's amazing. A Doctor Who episode called "Let's Kill Hitler." The only way it could be cooler is if it was called "Nazi-punching for Fun and Profit."

Yep, it's actually called that :D

Spoiler:
Let's Kill Hitler
Night Terrors
The Girl Who Waited
The God Complex
Closing Time (?)
The Wedding (?)

The last 2 are apparently wrong, but good placeholders for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Harkness (Post 518753)
If they are in 2012 it could be the christmas special.

True, but I still think they'd be in 2013 rather than 2012.

Riley Taylor 08-17-2011 02:47 PM

Glorious. Seriously. Glorious.

Slenderman - Doctor 08-17-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley Taylor (Post 518756)
Glorious. Seriously. Glorious.

Spoiler:
And Hitler doesn't feature much in the episode; he spends a lot of the time locked in a cupboard apparently!

As Moffat said, if you want to insult Hitler, make a mockery out of him :D

Captain Harkness 08-17-2011 02:51 PM

Moffat said he is going to poke fun at hilter.