getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Truth (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What are the warning signs of a bad online play partner? (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=309851)

Jdelt 06-16-2017 10:59 AM

What are the warning signs of a bad online play partner?

In another Truth thread I started (my attempt to explore the legend of the broken cell phone camera) people keep mentioning the need of subs to lie sometimes because of pushy or rude "doms." I thought it might be interesting then to start a thread and ask, what are your warning signs that you've picked a bad play partner? For both doms and subs, what do online play partners do that warn you things are not going to end well?

Kisune Karnon 06-16-2017 11:00 AM

Little to no communication after initial contact.

Jdelt 06-16-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kisune Karnon (Post 2837520)
Little to no communication after initial contact.

Ah. The dreaded fade-away. Are we still playing? Did you get hurt? Did you just lose interest? Did a tidal wave drag you out to sea?

I hate that. :)

Allykat 06-16-2017 11:05 AM

As a sub: not respecting boundaries. Trying to negotiate your limits like you have those limits for fun. Being too pushy and demanding explanations for everything and then don't believe you when you do give one. Being borderline obsessive thinking you're around to play 24/7 and will get mad if you take longer than 5 mins to respond.

These are traits of an abuser, not a Dom. Unfortunately they seem way too common for a lot of "doms" online.

Jolly*FtM 06-16-2017 11:11 AM

I agree with allykat.

I'll add: no safeword, and a too fast procedure and the worst "doms" they don't think about health and safety and demand dangerous things.

Jdelt 06-16-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allykat (Post 2837530)
As a sub: not respecting boundaries. Trying to negotiate your limits like you have those limits for fun. Being too pushy and demanding explanations for everything and then don't believe you when you do give one. Being borderline obsessive thinking you're around to play 24/7 and will get mad if you take longer than 5 mins to respond.

These are traits of an abuser, not a Dom. Unfortunately they seem way too common for a lot of "doms" online.

I don't get the negotiations over limits. What fun is it if your partner is uncomfortable and anxious? I've occasionally pushed limits of partners before, but that's only with long-term play partners, and lots (and lots) of trust and communication before hand.

And the 24/7 thing is universal I think. Sometimes I just need to do laundry or pick up the kids. :)

Allykat 06-16-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdelt (Post 2837551)
I don't get the negotiations over limits. What fun is it if your partner is uncomfortable and anxious? I've occasionally pushed limits of partners before, but that's only with long-term play partners, and lots (and lots) of trust and communication before hand.

And the 24/7 thing is universal I think. Sometimes I just need to do laundry or pick up the kids. :)

Pushing limits can be fun and exciting, but as you say, you need to have a lot of trust for each other before doing that, and also need to be able to communicate properly. I think people like that simply don't care which again is more a thing an abuser would do, not a dom.

Definitely. It's like people forget that most people have work and/or school and other real life responsibilities that has to take priority over some random person online. I get that it can be a bit annoying if you're having a conversation then one person suddenly stops responding without saying anything, but expecting it to be like that all the time is just silly.

IceMaiden 06-17-2017 10:52 AM

Butterfly posted a blog here about this. Very helpful and good advice for newbies!

motmot13131313 06-17-2017 11:09 AM

Consistently showing no to little respect for your limits and boundaries especially if you haven't asked them to try push you through some of them. Like i had a dom who wanted passwords and usernames to everything and all details about me for blackmail despite me just wanting a dom to have some leverage to encourage me to do certain things. He pushed it to far i had to say no eventually and put my foot down.

Twins 06-17-2017 02:05 PM

No communication
Constantly pushing against limits (I state them to start don't like them go else where)
No actual care
Asking impossible things (had someone ask me to eat my own bum)
Complains if you get sick or have something else to do

Jdelt 06-17-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twins (Post 2839140)
Asking impossible things (had someone ask me to eat my own bum)

Eat your own bum...:eek:

I don't even...

Wow.

Jdelt 06-17-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceMaiden (Post 2838979)
Butterfly posted a blog here about this. Very helpful and good advice for newbies!

Like everything else she does, this is really good! Thanks for linking it. :)

kurious kat 06-17-2017 03:54 PM

Pushing for something mid-scene that you said early on that you didn't want to/aren't comfortable doing. When your endorphins are high, you're more likely to cross a boundary you'll regret later, which is why negotiations should always be completed before play begins. If it goes well, there's always room to renegotiate next time if trust has built up by then.

I also find someone who's unwilling to consider the particulars of your daily life rarely makes a good play partner. Workplaces, school situations, housing considerations, etc. can make tasks harder for some than for others. A play partner doesn't have to be a mind reader, but if you say, "Hey, I have a concern about how this will affect other parts of my life because I have to deal with ____," they should be able to adapt or replace the task without a fuss, and without accusing you of questioning their authority.

yui 06-18-2017 05:44 AM

The ones who think they own you after 2 messages always bother me

tcitycity 06-18-2017 07:53 AM

nope

wife & I almost never do anything online unless we know who it is and they are friends or etc.. Otherwise never. As far as video... as far as GD or similar its anoumous enough