getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oldskool Handwritten Letters (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=52853)

Slenderman - Doctor 07-30-2010 07:05 AM

Oldskool Handwritten Letters

Does anyone write letters anymore?

Today's world is so wrapped up in Facebook and text that old-hat ways of communicating are being left behind. Being a lover of English with a passion for writing, I decided to change my ways a little. I recently wrote a long letter to one of my closest friends and she recieved it today. She was so excited to get it and now she's writing a letter back. And I've already planned a reply to her reply. So hopefully the ball will keep rolling and a chain of letters will build up.

I love the wait. It can be irritating but, because we live so close, we post the letter and it arrives the next day.

I love the personal touch. In a Facebook chat/message, how is it personal? It's always one generic font. Sure, you have smilies, but that's about it. In handwritten letters, there's space for anything. Doodle, draw, sign your name, be creative. It's also a lot more personal in that it's had care and attention. Anyone can knock together an email or text and knock it through spell-check and send it. But handwritten stuff is often more carefully thought out.

Yes, it takes more time. But isn't that sometimes the idea of communicating? We love instant chat these days. But, sometimes, it may take you a few days to recieve an email if you can't log on or whatever. So it's the same as writing a letter. Also, with letters, yes, you have to pay for stamps. But, again, that's part of the love. You've gone out of your way to buy stamps (which aren't expensive) in order to write to someone. Not just logged into an account and typed up a few words.

Woah. Rambling. But yeah. What are your thoughts on this subject? Do you have a penpal? Did you have one?

And if you answered "no", maybe you should set aside half an hour or an hour and write a letter to a friend. Surprise them. Don't tell them. Just write something and send it. A page, two pages, five pages, whatever. I guarantee it'll make them smile more than a message on Facebook will.

Discuss :)

Ninjota 07-30-2010 07:08 AM

Haha a penpal would be neat, i agree the digital world has "Homogenized" communications, and handwritten letters are awesome to get :rolleyes:

But alas, no i do not have a penpal hehe, im a computer junkie ;)

Slenderman - Doctor 07-30-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjota (Post 310260)
Haha a penpal would be neat, i agree the digital world has "Homogenized" communications, and handwritten letters are awesome to get :rolleyes:

But alas, no i do not have a penpal hehe, im a computer junkie ;)

Don't get me wrong - nothing wrong with Facebook chat/messages/email etc. But I think people miss out when they don't send a letter. It's nothing exciting, sure, but it can make a difference and, as I've found, it can be fun.

Instant chat is just that. Instant. There in a minute. Whereas I've sent a letter to my friend, she's read it and I have no idea what she'll write back. So I'll be waiting til, maybe, Monday and it's just something to look forward to.

Might just be me being old though xD

Ribbit101 07-30-2010 08:56 AM

A girl I quite like sent me a letter once :)

I'll ask her to write me another, and then i'll hopefully write one back :)

I use emoticons in letters....

Seriously.

slaveblondie 07-30-2010 10:01 AM

I write to my Grandma, she doesn't have facebook for obvious reasons and she is a writing diva, she will write about 4 pages in literally about 10 minutes! And it does mean so much to her when I write in reply to her letters :) Though she is beginning to get the hand of texting :P

SB xx

CollaredBlondie 07-30-2010 01:43 PM

I recently posted a short blog about this elsewhere on the net, and one of my followers sent me her address, so now we're writing to each other. I love writing and sending letters. :)

sweetsong 07-30-2010 05:09 PM

I ♥ handwritten letters.

Nobody writes back though. :
(

Ribbit101 07-30-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetsong (Post 310470)
I ♥ handwritten letters.

Nobody writes back though. :
(

If only you were in the UK!

sweetsong 07-30-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ribbit101 (Post 310482)
If only you were in the UK!

It only costs like 80 cents to mail a letter to Europeland. :cool:

Arthur Dent 07-30-2010 10:57 PM

When I was around 13ish (back in the 70's!) I used to have a pen friend that I met on holiday once. At that time the only other way to communicate was the landline 'phone (we only had that installed when I was 12) and we only had one which was in the hallway where everyone walked passed - so not exactly private. And my parents would never let me use it for long because it cost too much!

But I enjoyed reading the letters and writing them, and I kept them for ages in a box and found them years later and enjoyed reading them again (you can't do that with facebook). Letters gave you a real insight into someone's life and personality becasue you took time over writing them. Instant communication is good in many ways but tends to be only short snippets of information - I don't think it can replace a good letter personally!

Aivey 07-31-2010 12:56 AM

I LOVE handwritten letters :D They seem so much more personal, and thus, more meaningful that a bunch of pixels on a screen. Each letter has been written by hand, and it's just full of the writer's characteristics (eg: handwriting, decorations, etc...) I also love spraying perfume on a handwritten letter :) It makes things much more "you-like" if you know what i mean :P
but sadly, no, i don't have any pen pals because the postal system is so unreliable here in china :(

Anjelen 07-31-2010 03:44 AM

I love hand written letters. And yet, i passionately hate writing. It takes too long - not to mention the fact that i've -always- had terrible hand writing, and that's not likely to change; i just don't have the patience to write. I never learned to clearly express myself through text until i got my hands on a keyboard and i didn't have to mess about with paper and ink anymore...

That said - i will write, if people i write to are very special to me.

CollaredBlondie 07-31-2010 05:43 AM

I used to write to my best friend all the time when I moved away from where I used to live. Sometimes I used to actually hand write, sometimes I used to type a letter (didn't used to have constand internet access then). I know typing a letter isn't quite the same as handwriting one, but sometimes it's a lot easier for all involved. I mean, it might not take as much time, or it might be more readable. I used to insert pictures into these letters so they weren't boring. ^_^

honeyness 07-31-2010 08:23 AM

I LOVE this, I really want to write letters again, just with facebook etc there are only a few people who will actually appreciate it!

I always write thank you letters to family members who have sent me a gift for a birthday or at Christmas, it has always been drummed into me to say thank you and people seem to appreciate receiving the letter.

When i was younger, around 10, I had a penfriend who i met on holiday and we wrote to each other for ages until we gradually grew apart. I recently got back in touch which her by using facebook, so I do like facebook for that ability to reconnect with people! i still have all our letters and cards that we used to make each other, I would love to have that kind of relationship with someone again.

*ponders* I may go and write a letter to my best friend, just to tell her how much she means to me :)

*Goes to find pen and paper* :)

Ribbit101 07-31-2010 10:26 AM

I wrote a letter to accompany a necklace to the first girl I liked....

Wow, repressed memory much?