getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Geeks/Nerds. (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=56503)

Slenderman - Doctor 09-14-2010 07:15 AM

Geeks/Nerds.

These two labels are often interused and are taken to mean similar things, more often than not.

So I was curious...

1) How do you differentiate each one?
2) Are they the same thing?
3) Any other comments?

DaVance 09-14-2010 09:29 AM

Geeks and Nerds are essentially the same thing with one difference. Geeks have a higher IQ than Nerds.

I believe a Grad School Geek did a formal Master's degree research paper on this topic just to improve Geeks public relation standings in the general population.

sweetsong 09-14-2010 10:23 AM

I thought a geek was like the short skinny kid with glasses that could hack into anyone's computer and a nerd was just someone who was really smart and knew the answer to every question.

But maybe that's just me. :D

BettyBoop 09-14-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetsong (Post 330108)
I thought a geek was like the short skinny kid with glasses that could hack into anyone's computer.

And I thought a nerd was just someone generally nerdy and awkward. Not always smart though.

Loman 09-14-2010 11:52 AM

Using sweet's descriptions, I am a geek.

Captain Harkness 09-14-2010 01:27 PM

I thought Geeks were into fictional stuff but somewhat sciencey like sci-fi or xbox or summit but nerds better at exams and are just spliting hairs.

sweetsong 09-14-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Harkness (Post 330174)
I thought Geeks were into fictional stuff but somewhat sciencey like sci-fi or xbox or summit but nerds better at exams and are just spliting hairs.

Yep..... That. :P

sekai 09-14-2010 02:33 PM

I'm going to agree with 444's description.

dragonator 09-14-2010 03:33 PM

wow this is so odd... here Nerd means someone who is smart and takes part in generally unjocklike activities (such as chess and watching anime) instead of sports, (or takes part in them additionally to sports) and a Geek is the same except not smart, under that definition im a nerd. Apperently everyewhere else tho its the opposite lol

keykitty 09-14-2010 06:34 PM

Geek to the core :D

Aries_Laetus 09-14-2010 06:44 PM

A geek to me is someone goofy or "Geeky". Someone who is a nerd, in my opinion, is the smarter of the two. You are nerdy if you read the dictionary for instance. Which makes me, sad to say lol, a Nerd :p

Aivey 09-15-2010 02:39 AM

I am like... 100% nerd. xD

To me, geeks are people who are obsessed with Hi-Tech stuff and are able to amazing things with the computer. They are often antisocial because they spend so much time on the computer doing their stuff. They TRY to be cool but fail at doing so :P (btw, this is only MY opinion)

Nerds are people who are good at studying and ALWAYS has a book with them. They are also antisocial, but they don't try to be cool... they are happy with being who they are...

Im not sure though xD it's just what my mind's eye defines them...

deschut 09-15-2010 02:48 AM

I´m not really fully anti-social, but do have moments where I just get into a lot of technical or high-tech detail and just loose everybody in the conversation :P

Besides that, technology interests me a lot. And I like to learn new things, study, etc.

Geeky-Nerd? :P

Loman 09-15-2010 04:28 AM

Aivey, I fail at being cool? </3

:(

Nixie 09-15-2010 05:53 AM

Thank you Urban dictionary.

Geek

Not to be confused with Nerd. A geek does not have to be smart, a Geek is someone who is generaly not athletic, and enjoys Video Games; Comic Books; being on the internet, and etc.
Only a geek would waste their time on the internet, defining geek on urbandictionary.com

Nerd

buy nerd mugs, tshirts and magnets
An 'individual', i.e. a person who does not conform to society's beliefs that all people should follow trends and do what their peers do. Often highly intelligent but socially rejected because of their obsession with a given subject, usually computers. Unfortunately, nerds seem to have problems breeding, to the detriment of mankind as a whole.
"Nerds are clearly superior to us in every way.. Let's worship them as our Gods"