getDare Truth or Dare

getDare Truth or Dare (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/index.php)
-   getDare.com (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   16 Characters (don't get probated) (https://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=28092)

depp 07-14-2009 11:17 PM

16 Characters (don't get probated)

Posts that contain text just to satisfy the 16 character limit will now result in an infraction. If your reply is shorter than 16 characters you should not be posting. An exception to this rule will be made for lounge games.

These new infractions will be for three points and will not result in a probation until you accrue more than one.

Slenderman - Doctor 07-15-2009 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depp (Post 164141)
An exception to this rule will be made for lounge games.

I'm guessing this doesn't apply to visitor messages either?

Might appear like I'm stating the obvious but there's no harm in double-checking.

depp 07-15-2009 05:46 AM

No, this does not apply to user profiles.

Powerstrip 07-15-2009 12:45 PM

Surely it should be taken in the context of the post? What if you don't need more than 16 characters to answer the question/dare/truth etc?

Powerstrip 07-20-2009 12:49 PM

Bump?

16 chars ;)

Sorry, I was just too tempted :p

BettyBoop 07-20-2009 01:07 PM

This is a fab idea, kind of annoying of seeing half-hearted responses.
I bet I've probably done it, then again I do ramble on...

MischievousKitten 07-20-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerstrip (Post 164325)
Surely it should be taken in the context of the post? What if you don't need more than 16 characters to answer the question/dare/truth etc?

I agree with this post though..

Trauma 07-20-2009 02:06 PM

this is kind of stupid. most other forums i go on have much lower limits.

what if someone has already posted what you were going to say and you just want to say you were thinking the same or something like that? makes more sense to just say 'i agree' or something than to type out what has already been said again.

Powerstrip 07-20-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trauma (Post 166552)

what if someone has already posted what you were going to say and you just want to say you were thinking the same or something like that? makes more sense to just say 'i agree' or something than to type out what has already been said again.

I agree ;)

16 chars....(I'd like to point out, until the rule is clarified that's a legit use.....:rolleyes: )

Slenderman - Doctor 07-20-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

I agree with this post.

Is it that hard to add 3 more words? ;)

Manbearpig 07-20-2009 05:12 PM

It is needed and I will tell you why

Quote:

I was around before the 16 characters miminum was placed. And I will tell you there were many, many cases of crap posts like "I agree." This was also in a time where people wanted to have the most posts. This craze has settled down. However, I believe the limit is still needed. Otherwise you will see post like this in the TORD Online section:

Quote:

Originally Posted by crappy poster
Dare me :D :cool:

Or something like this in the Dare Section:

Quote:

Originally Posted by another crappy poster
spank urself :cool: :)

So while there are cases where it is inconvient, in the long run, it makes the quality of the posts a lot better.

Trauma 07-20-2009 11:01 PM

Hm, I guess if people are trying to get a high post count for the sake of it then it helps. Other forums I go on most people are mature enough to not care about stupid stuff like that, and it even works fine with character limits as low as 3.

LilAngel 07-20-2009 11:45 PM

But the topics discussed 'on those other forums' also probably require much more detail, where as a dare can be as short as one word long. These are the types of posts we are legitimately trying to avoid, as they make people it unfair for others who give out long, and well thought-out dares/ truths etc.

The issue has less to do with than maturity, but rather the context required in most situations. I'm sure that these 'other forums' did not have issues with people posting two words, wishing to request a dare.

On the other hand, if you are really mature enough, then this rule will probably not affect you at all, and hence, keep posting. :)

Trauma 07-21-2009 02:50 AM

My comment about maturity was concering members who make pointless posts for the purpose of increasing their post count.

The other forums I mentioned are generally not full of useless posts without substantial detail. There are many situations where a reply less than 16 characters long could be perfectly acceptable, just like there are other topics which require much more detail.

Personally I think moderator discretion should be used as I don't feel it's the case that all posts with less than 16 characters automatically have insufficient detail, it's not that black and white.

Pubishing members every time they break this rule is over the top and will just result in unnecessary arguments. It should depend on the context, etc. Also another way of dealing with it would be to just contact those who consistently do this and tell them to either stop it or they will face further action.

CollaredBlondie 07-21-2009 03:47 AM

I understand the ppint/s LilAngel is making but I really agree with this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trauma (Post 166797)
Personally I think moderator discretion should be used as I don't feel it's the case that all posts with less than 16 characters automatically have insufficient detail, it's not that black and white.

Pubishing members every time they break this rule is over the top and will just result in unnecessary arguments. It should depend on the context, etc. Also another way of dealing with it would be to just contact those who consistently do this and tell them to either stop it or they will face further action.

The post should really depend on the context. But other than that, Mabearpig raises good points. Hopefully it will improive the quality of the posts here.