Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > My Blog of Bloggy Blogness

Rate this Entry

Ramblings About Music

Posted 01-05-2018 at 07:11 AM by Hammarling

A simple way to describe my relationship with music would be this: In the summer a friend said to me, "You're just like Baby! You never take your headphones out!"
(If you're lost, go watch 'Baby Driver'. If you're not lost, go watch 'Baby Driver'. Just go watch 'Baby Driver', now!)

At this point for almost as long as i can remember i've been addicted to music. From when i got my first proper mp3 player in 2009 i've spent an insane amount of time with headphones in my ears. I've owned 8 or 9 ipods since 2010. Right now i've got one in my pocket, one on a shelf and one plugged into a speaker.

But why?
That's a good question. I couldn't tell you why i started listening to music, can anyone? I do know i liked music and i just wanted to listen to my favorite bands. Back in 2009 this was: The Killers, Kings of Leon, MCR, Paramore and similar. If i was going out i'd pop my headphones in. If i was doing homework i'd pop my headphones in. On a bus, a train, a plane, reading a book. I'd just listen to music when i could.

Thus music has become a major part of my life. My life has a soundtrack. Genuinely.
There are hundreds of songs that i relate to specific moments in my life. Artists i relate to certain emotions. Playlists that represents months. I just have to listen to music.

But it's more than that. When i struggled with depression it was music i turned to. I could put some music on and it would help lift my spirits. When i get anxious or an anxiety attack, i go to music to distract and calm me. If i need to clear my head, i fill it with music. Which is all positive stuff and good reasoning.

However it has it downsides. Because music links so closely to my life and my mood, there are songs that make me drop. There are some songs i will forever associate with bad moments. But i wouldn't change that, because it's me and how i work.

Here's some examples, good and bad:
Quote:
'The Cave' by Mumford & Sons - Forever linked to the summer of 2010. I had my first summer job, which was fun. I went on the best camping trip ever. And it was the song i associate with my first ever girlfriend. If i hear it, i am transported back to what was one of the best summers of my life.

'Set Fire To The Third Bar' by Snow Patrol - Forever linked to the autumn of 2010. In the summer i got a Snow Patrol album and loved it. I'd listen to it loads. And then i got dumped, for the first time ever. And as this was the album i listend to most at that time, and this song especially, are forever linked to that emotional state and memory.

'I'm No Superman' by Lazlo Bane - Most of you will know this as the Scrubs theme tune. Will be forever linked to Summer 2012 and me leaving school. That was a really good and positive time, i had the best friends and was moving onto Uni and properl adult life. It always makes me smile and remember the good stuff from school.

'Love Generation' by Bob Sinclair - It's a mixed reaction this one. I heard it first when i was really struggling with my depression at Uni, so there is a connection. But it's also the first song in the playlist that helped me. I can remember so clearly the day i knew i was going to be ok, and this song is hat day. It's a hard one to explain breifley here.

'I Love It' by Icona Pop - I swear to god i must have heard this song every single day for like two months in 2013 when i was working for the summer. And it's the song that makes me think of that job, where i first met possibly my best friend and launched into host of traditions and repeat summers working.

'Welcome To The Black Parade' by My Chemical Romance - A significant song. I mentioned MCR above as one of the first bands i was into. Well i totally forgot about tons of that early music i enjoyed for years. Then i randomly refound an old playlist, and i rediscovered hundreds of songs. This is the prime example of that, and of my rediscovery and acceptance of what i enjoy.

'Rut' by The Killers - The final example i'll give, as it's the most recent. The Killers are my all time favorite band, have been forever and will be forever. This song is now linked to me, in this time now. That i am a good person, even if i'm a little stuck and lost, and that good things can still happen even when it seems impossible.
What is the point of all this rambling?
I just wanted to share something of myself. Something that is big and important and almost defining.
I love music. I always listen to music. It helps me when i'm down. It helps me remember important things and moments. And even the bad stuff, it helps me remember and learn from those.

I can go on and on about artists and bands and songs i like. I just have done. Music is such an amazing thing, and i love sharing it and discovering more. You can see that in my Best of 2017 Blog as well.
I will always talk about music if anyone wants to. Share what i like, learn what you like.

Time to wrap this up. My life has a soundtrack, and i fricking love it!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 836 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments