Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > saruman

Rating: 6 votes, 3.00 average.

What I know about BDSM

Posted 11-19-2017 at 09:33 PM by saruman
Updated 11-20-2017 at 12:09 AM by saruman

BDSM is a variety of often erotic practices or roleplaying involving bondage, discipline, dominance and submission, sadomasochism, and other related interpersonal dynamics. Given the wide range of practices, some of which may be engaged in by people who do not consider themselves as practicing BDSM, inclusion in the BDSM community or subculture is usually dependent upon self-identification and shared experience.
Activities and relationships within a BDSM context are often characterized by the participants taking on complementary, but unequal roles; thus, the idea of informed consent of both the partners is essential. The terms "submissive" and "dominant" are often used to distinguish these roles: the dominant partner ("dom") takes psychological control over the submissive ("sub"). The terms "top" and "bottom" are also used: the top is the instigator of an action while the bottom is the receiver of the action. The two sets of terms are subtly different: for example, someone may choose to act as bottom to another person, for example, by being whipped, purely recreationally, without any implication of being psychologically dominated by them.

The abbreviations "sub" and "dom" are frequently used instead of "submissive" and "dominant". Sometimes the female-specific term "domme" is used to describe a dominant woman, instead of the gender-neutral term "dom"; both terms are pronounced the same. Individuals who can change between top/dominant and bottom/submissive roles—whether from relationship to relationship or within a given relationship—are known as switches. The precise definition of roles and self-identification is a common subject of debate within the community.

"BDSM" is an umbrella term for certain kinds of erotic behavior between consenting adults. There are distinct subcultures under this umbrella term. Terminology for roles varies widely among the subcultures. Top and dominant are widely used for those partner(s) in the relationship or activity who are, respectively, the physically active or controlling participants. Bottom and submissive are widely used for those partner(s) in the relationship or activity who are, respectively, the physically receptive or controlled participants. The interaction between tops and bottoms—where physical or mental control of the bottom is surrendered to the top—is sometimes known as "power exchange", whether in the context of an encounter or a relationship.

BDSM actions can often take place during a specific period of time agreed to by both parties, referred to as "play", a "scene", or a "session". Participants usually derive pleasure from this, even though many of the practices—such as inflicting pain or humiliation or being restrained — would be unpleasant under other circumstances. Explicit sexual activity, such as sexual penetration, may occur within a session, but is not essential. Such explicit sexual interaction is, for legal reasons, seen only rarely in public play spaces, and it is sometimes specifically banned by the rules of a party or playspace. Whether it is a public "playspace"—ranging from a party at an established community dungeon to a hosted play "zone" at a nightclub or social event—the parameters of allowance can vary. Some have a policy of panties/nipple tape for women (underwear for men) and some allow full nudity with explicit sexual interaction allowed.

The fundamental principles for the exercise of BDSM require that it should be performed with the informed consent of all involved parties. Since the 1980s, many practitioners and organizations have adopted the motto (originally from the statement of purpose of GMSMA—a gay SM activist organization) "safe, sane and consensual", commonly abbreviated as "SSC", which means that everything is based on safe activities, that all participants be of sufficiently sound/sane mind to consent, and that all participants do consent. It is mutual consent that makes a clear legal and ethical distinction between BDSM and such crimes as sexual assault or domestic violence.

Some BDSM practitioners prefer a code of behavior that differs from "SSC" and is described as "risk-aware consensual kink" (RACK), indicating a preference for a style in which the individual responsibility of the involved parties is emphasized more strongly, with each participant being responsible for his or her own well-being. Advocates of RACK argue that SSC can hamper discussion of risk because no activity is truly "safe", and that discussion of even low-risk possibilities is necessary for truly informed consent. They further argue that setting a discrete line between "safe" and "not-safe" activities ideologically denies consenting adults the right to evaluate risks vs rewards for themselves; that some adults will be drawn to certain activities regardless of the risk; and that BDSM play—particularly higher-risk play or edgeplay—should be treated with the same regard as extreme sports, with both respect and the demand that practitioners educate themselves and practice the higher-risk activities to decrease risk. RACK may be seen as focusing primarily upon awareness and informed consent, rather than accepted safe practices. Consent is the most important criterion here. The consent and compliance for a sadomasochistic situation can be granted only by people who can judge the potential results. For their consent, they must have relevant information (extent to which the scene will go, potential risks, if a safeword will be used, what that is, and so on) at hand and the necessary mental capacity to judge. The resulting consent and understanding is occasionally summarized in a written "contract", which is an agreement of what can and cannot take place.
Views 2200 Comments 10
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 10

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I hope you contributed some money to Wikipedia to make up your cutting and pasting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDSM
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterwants View Comment
    I hope you contributed some money to Wikipedia to make up your cutting and pasting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDSM
    Lol! I dont blame you but I would like to make it very clear that it was I who wrote that part on wiki. If I cannot copy and past my own writings, then my faith in humanity has grown less.
  3. Old Comment
    Then your faith must be minuscule! Looking at the revision history on Wiki, the age of the entries and your profile age here, something doesn't quite add up...

Just saying!!
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Then your faith must be minuscule! Looking at the revision history on Wiki, the age of the entries and your profile age here, something doesn't quite add up...

Just saying!!
    Lol you think I'm gonna put my correct details on this site so that someone who knows me can see me? Damn boy, you're so dumb.
  5. Old Comment
    Not dumb enough to believe your attempts at passing off someone else's work as your own, obviously!
  6. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Not dumb enough to believe your attempts at passing off someone else's work as your own, obviously!
    Believe what you may... I hold no power whatsoever to make people see the error of their ways..
  7. Old Comment
    True, but you could see the error of your own...
  8. Old Comment
    Seriously dude... How old are you? six?
  9. Old Comment
    Old enough not to be fooled by someone trying to appear way more intelligent than they are by copying and pasting the work of others from 2001?!
  10. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saruman View Comment
    Lol you think I'm gonna put my correct details on this site so that someone who knows me can see me? Damn boy, you're so dumb.
    So someone is going to identify you just by your correct age?! That sounds like a dumb idea if ever I saw one.

The thing is you can choose not to show you age on your profile, which is calculated by the date of birth you entered when you made your account, rather than mislead or lie to others. That might be a better idea.

And the fact that you have to resort to calling me dumb says so much about you and will hopefully provide a warning signal to others about how you actually treat people, despite what you write in your blogs.