PDA

View Full Version : Non-Fiction: The Scariest Hour of my Life

Saul
03-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Let me explain a little. My name is Saul, and i am 16 years old. My parents decided to go on a little vacation this spring break, so i was left home, which i did not mind. Had to do a few chores, like feed the dogs, feed the fish, ect, but i was happy.

It was 6:15 on Saturday, Match 27th, 2010. My parents left this morning, and i was browsing the internet. I had a sudden urge. Ive had this urge in the past, but either lacked the time, money, or courage to do so. I wanted to go get a pack of diapers. Any kind. My parents left me fifty dollars to buy food and such, 15 of which i already spent. I decided i was going to do it. I let my three dogs in from the backyard, picked up my wallet, put my shoes on and walked out into the garage.

My bikes chain came off the round thing that lets you peddle. It came off earlier today when i was coming home from Giant, which, ironically, i was going to now. I spent a minute fixing the chain, my fingers getting a little oil, or grease, i dont know, on them, and i was off. Didnt bother with a helmet. I got onto the bike path and peddled hard, my legs already sore from my previous bike ride today. Now, i have friends ( - cough - my crush) who bike often, even going in bikathons and such. I dont know how they did it. On the straight flat sections of the bike trail i did fine, but it was the hills that killed me. Normally i would dismount and walk up the hills, but i wanted to get in, get "the package" and get out as fast as possible, as early as possible.

I passed some guy walking his dog, but the bike trail was pretty empty this time of day. I got to the main road, across it was Giant, a common grocey store in this area for anyone who does not know. I was trying to decide whether to go down to the light and cross at the crosswalk, or wait a minute or two and cross right in the middle of the street, when there were no cars coming. It was like a 4 or 5 lane road. I looked, saw plenty of cars, and opted for the crosswalk. I road my bike past the main plaza into the lot behind the building. Left my bike there, since i did not own a bike lot. My legs felt very similiar to jello as i walked up to the entrance to the store.

I grabbed a basket. Just my luck, the store is incredibly empty. Nobody is at the "Self-Checkout" lanes, which i was planning to use. I circled around the store, going in the "Office Supplies and Diapers" isle. Strange combination. I passed the shelves of diapers once, looking at them, like i was merely passing by. I did the same thing again, this time, looking at once specific: A package of 12 girls goodnites. My instinct told me to get them. I again passed them, circled throughout some nearby isles and went into the diaper isle yet again.

As i approached the package, i looked behind me, nobody. I looked ahead, some lady took the closest Self-Checkout lane, the one i was going to use. I turned my back on the diapers and browsed the office supplies. Another minute passed, and i glanced over. The lady was still there, with many items. "Thats an express self-checkout lady!" my mind thought. "15 items or less! Thats a hell of a lot more than 15 items". Screw this, its now or never. I picked up the pack, L-XL size and put it in my basket. I headed to the next open Self Checkout lane, number 4. I quickly selected english as my language, scanned the package, and instead of putting it on the moving belt, put it in my backet. I pulled out a 20 ready to pay, when an asian store worker came over. He motioned like he was trying to tell me to put it on the belt. I looked down. "NO CASH, CREDIT CARDS ONLY" A sign said. Fuck. I quickly said to the asian "No cash?" He replied "Lane one". I turned to walk away. "Sir", i heard behind me. My heart was beating. I turned around. "Your wallet". I left my wallet on the scanner. Im an idiot.

"Thanks" i said to him, grabbed it, and quickly went to lane one. I quickly, again, selected english, scanned it, but this time, put it on the belt. With time in mind, i inserted my 20, wishing it would dispense my change faster. I grabbed my change and my receite, and grabbed the pink pack, flowers and all. I put it in a bag. I put that bag in another bag. Damn. You could still see it. I dismissed these thoughts and quickly walked out of the store, around back, got on my bike, and started going the way i came. When i got to the light with the crosswalk, traffic was in full motion. I waited for the little sign to show the man glowing, meaning i could walk. I was paranoid that everone was staring at my bag. Suddenly, i saw two teenagers, about my age, on their bikes, on the other side of the crosswalk. No way, i thought, and turned my bike, heading further down to where i needed to cross, without a crosswalk. What luck, i thought, no cars in either direction. I quickly crossed the street and headed back onto the trail. Hardest part is over, i thought to myself.

I peddled as fast as my tired legs could. I considered walking up this first hill, but as i got near the top, a man turned a corner. I quickly accelerated my peddling and passed him, enjoying a brief time of downhill gliding. The next hill, another man was walking down. I peddled fast, ignoring eye contact, and passed him. Flat terrain from here on out, i thought. Every 10-15 seconds i would glance behind me, but nobody was ever there. I decided instead of going through the playground and through my neighborhood, as was the normal way, i kept going, until i was right behind my house. A slight hill with a little mud and some thorns, they were crushed by my bikes advancing tire. To be the safest i could be, i dismounted my bike, hopped my fence, put the bag with my package on the step, and returned to my bike. Good thing, too, because my neighbor was on the sidewalk infront of my house. I entered the house, grabbed my package, and went to enjoy the rest of my night.

Entirely true, except for my name, which is indeed not Saul.

urbanbusta
03-29-2010, 12:03 AM
More please :3! You did tell the story pretty well on your first post.