PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Windows Xbox Controller Vibration

Desperate
07-12-2013, 06:08 AM
If you have an Xbox 360 Controller for your PC, you can download a program called x360ce here (https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/list) which allows you to test the vibrations on your controller.

Just download the application, and switch to the "Force Feedback" tab. Move the "Test Left Motor" and "Test Right Motor" sliders to the right in order to control the strength of the vibrations.

This might work for other types of vibrating controller, but I only have a 360 controller.

So there you go, you can now use your controller as a vibrator, which could have some interesting applications. You could use it as a replacement if you don't have a real vibrator, or if you're into screen control, you could ask other gD users to control your pleasure.

Personally I'd like an application which could remote control the vibrations without the need to screen share, but I'm not tech savvy enough to figure out how to do that.

Any dares people can come up with that might make use of this?

Kat1992
07-12-2013, 01:52 PM
a remote vibe that could be controlled by others would be so cool, I could wear it to bed and be controlled by anyone in the world anytime of night. I think it would be the best toy ever

Megan13
07-12-2013, 11:51 PM
lol That's funny, I actually used a controller as a vibrator before. I played a racing game and just held down the throttle so the car was hitting all the walls and stuff and continued to vibrate.

wedgiegary
07-13-2013, 01:42 AM
I could probably make such a application.

Watch this space

Desperate
07-13-2013, 03:34 AM
I could probably make such a application.

Watch this space

That would be awesome if you could, thanks!

fitsexyguy
07-13-2013, 03:39 AM
I think this would be awesome, there are specific toys for this but they are very pricey. It would be quite fun to have control over someones vibrator from half way across the world.

Desperate
07-13-2013, 04:18 AM
I think this would be awesome, there are specific toys for this but they are very pricey. It would be quite fun to have control over someones vibrator from half way across the world.

A wired Xbox Controller for Windows costs a bit under £20 on Amazon. It's not as good as a specially designed remote-control vibrator, but considering it's very discrete and comes with the benefit of actually being able to play games with it, I think it's a great deal. :P

I'm not quite sure if it's a good idea to insert it, as I'm not sure they are waterproof. I would recommend that anyone planning on inserting it to find some kind of protective covering for the part they are planning to insert.

Dice7
07-13-2013, 04:26 AM
I imagine a playstation controller would be just about perfect for this?? And a wii controller would be a good challenge!

Desperate
07-13-2013, 04:29 AM
I imagine a playstation controller would be just about perfect for this?? And a wii controller would be a good challenge!

As I said, it should work for any kind of vibrating controller. :)

However, I'm not sure if Playstation/Wii controllers can be connected to the computer, so I don't know if it's possible to get an application that could let people remote-control them via their computer.

wedgiegary
07-14-2013, 05:07 AM
It is harder than expected!

pat4027
07-14-2013, 10:20 AM
I think there is a avatar massage indie game on xbox 360 that lets other people to control the vibrations

Desperate
07-14-2013, 11:28 AM
I think there is a avatar massage indie game on xbox 360 that lets other people to control the vibrations

Do you know if there is anything similar for Windows? I don't have an Xbox 360.

Soarin'
07-14-2013, 12:45 PM
I have had this in my head for a while...

Buy an old 360 controller, perhaps one with some broken buttons, and take it apart (carefully) to get to the motors inside.

If you attach extension wires to the motor terminals you can run them out to a MOSFET which will then allow you to control more powerful motor.

The wiring is basic enough with a diagram for that setup.

A better way would be to find the PWM line on the board and hack into that, that way you can send the signal to a proper ESC and then you can control ANYTHING! Mains, 12V, 1.5V you name it!

I will do some research when I have time.

Oh and Wii remotes are really easy to connect to a PC via an Arduino, or even on their own. You can have lots of 'fun' with those!

evie.sub
07-15-2013, 03:11 PM
But be carefull when inserting put a condom on them to protect yourself and the controller.
It is fun to have a wii controller in you and do some online tennis lol why dont i hit back the ball? Lol

alex_carter
07-17-2013, 12:09 PM
How do I link my wii remote to my laptop?

MissMaria
07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I also might be able to pull something like that together, I will have a look into it (only just started doing this type of stuff so might take some time)

MissMaria
07-17-2013, 12:43 PM
I have just looked into it, it is possible to make a program like this, I'm just not sure if I have advanced enough game building skills, I will have a crack at making it and get some help if needed and see if I can make it possible across the internet, as I said before though I have been making games and apps for less than a year so will take some time (also it will probably be a ps3 controller)

alex_carter
07-17-2013, 12:47 PM
You should make a version for the wii remote as well!!! If you can that is.

MissMaria
07-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Im sure I can, I will have a chat with a few people I know online that have been doing it longer and see if together we can throw something together for several types of controller, will get back to you all when I can

evie.sub
07-18-2013, 01:28 AM
How do I link my wii remote to my laptop?
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Connect-your-Wiimote-to-your-PC-via-Blueto/

subgirlx
07-19-2013, 10:46 PM
If a way to have someone else control it ever gets made, I'll just have to buy a controller :P

MissMaria
07-20-2013, 04:05 AM
unfortunately getting it to vibrate is the easy part I have already managed that for PS3 360 and a range of standard pc controlers the hard part is getting it to work from another pc, but not given up yet lol ;)

slave_boy93
07-20-2013, 05:04 AM
Would love to have something like this. You could have so much fun with this ^^

alex_carter
07-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know off a good, CLEAN (no viruses or anything), FREE Bluetooth download? The blue soleil one from the link isn't free...

MissMaria
07-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Does anyone know off a good, CLEAN (no viruses or anything), FREE Bluetooth download? The blue soleil one from the link isn't free...

The free ones arnt really what I would call good, which explains them being free, but it also depends what os you want it for

alex_carter
07-21-2013, 03:22 PM
I just want something so I can sync my wii remote to my laptop, only problem is I don't have an money, hence the need for it to be free.

MissMaria
07-21-2013, 03:23 PM
As I said, it depends on your OS

alex_carter
07-21-2013, 03:31 PM
As far as I knw it's just windows. I guess that's what you mean by OS.

MissMaria
07-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Kind of, there are multiple versions of windows, is it windows XP windows Vista Windows 7 or windows 8

Desperate
07-27-2013, 11:48 AM
unfortunately getting it to vibrate is the easy part I have already managed that for PS3 360 and a range of standard pc controlers the hard part is getting it to work from another pc, but not given up yet lol ;)
Hope you manage to find a solution. Good luck! :)

here.to.entertain
07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
So you guys obviously know way more about game building than I do, I enjoy playing, but I've never even tried to build so these might be stupid questions/suggestions but they might not be and they might spark something, even if they are stupid:

-Instead of making it vibrate as a test, what if it was an actual game and something in the game triggered the vibration? Like, if you and your intended partner both had XBox and XBox live and had some sort of cheat to stop your character from wasting time by dying, you could potentially use any fighting or first person shooting game.
- What if you created a program that would trigger the controller to vibrate but it locked the computer other than that one program so that screen sharing became a safe option? Like, it would lock the computer to be able to use only that program unless a password was entered or the computer was restarted or something. (Screen sharing to trigger the controller could also be an option in a side profile created on your computer that doesn't have access to the files in the admin profile. If you were super paranoid you could even block all stuff like email and facebook from the side profile.)
- Could you set it up to react to a received IM or something similar? Then the person just has to leave skype or whatever open and whenever the other person wanted the controller to start vibrating they simply had to send an IM.
- What about a program that you could create some kind of set pattern (or rhythm? Not really sure what I'd call it, a file that the creator could customize to make the controller do what they wanted when the file was opened) with and then the other person just has to load that pattern into their copy of the program and it would trigger the controller according to the times that the creator of the pattern had set up. That would be kind of cool because then there could be all kinds of pattern sharing on GD.

Just a few thoughts that may or may not be helpful.

-Also, I feel like it should probably be noted that if you want the controller to vibrate for an extended period of time, as in more than the few seconds it typically vibrates, you have to be careful you don't overheat the motor or else you'll have to shell out the cash for another one. Extended periods are all well and good as long as you give it time to cool down in between. Bioshock, for example, has a pretty lengthy vibrate time in the opening and then it's a while before it vibrates again.